Google News – Search Comprehensive up-to-date news coverage, aggregated from sources all over the world by Google News.
- Anne Kirkpatrick Sworn In as NOPD Interim Superintendent – NOPD Newsby NOPD News on September 25, 2023 at 8:17 am
Mayor LaToya Cantrell today (September 22, 2023) officially swore in Anne Kirkpatrick as interim superintendent of the New Orleans Police Department.
- Bound Together 2023: Fiction: Historicalby Alta Online on September 25, 2023 at 10:45 am
Lovers of this genre have treats in store from authors Isabel Allende, Reyna Grande, Naomi Hirahara, and Marianne Wiggins.
- Federal gun violence prevention office is a step forward to end the bloodshedby Chicago Sun-Times on September 25, 2023 at 10:33 am
Maybe, just maybe, a national effort with the power of President Biden and the White House behind it can bypass congressional inaction and finally end the bloodshed.
- The Hollywood strikes are not over (yet)by Nicole Fallert on September 25, 2023 at 10:16 am
Screenwriters and studios reach a tentative deal.
- Illinois debate over use of 14th Amendment to bar Trump from ballotby Rick Pearson on September 25, 2023 at 10:00 am
In deeply blue Illinois, legal and political questions are being asked over use of the 14th Amendment to keep Donald Trump off the ballot.
- Is US migrant surge result of ‘a broken and failed system?’by Terry Collins on September 25, 2023 at 9:40 am
- Opinion | The Libertarian vs. Conservative Impulses in G.O.P. Policy on Crimeby Jane Coaston on September 25, 2023 at 9:02 am
Conservatives have swung back toward intense tough-on-crime politics. Jane Coaston interviews Charles Fain Lehman about what changed.
- Sentencing case hinges on an ‘and’by Arkansas Online on September 25, 2023 at 4:14 am
WASHINGTON — How to interpret the word “and” has prompted a complicated legal fight that is set to land in the Supreme Court on Oct. 2, the first day of its new term. What the justices decide could affect thousands of prison sentences each year.
- As Trump Prosecutions Move Forward, Threats and Concerns Increaseby Michael S. Schmidt,Adam Goldman,Alan Feuer,Maggie Haberman,Glenn Thrush on September 24, 2023 at 5:38 pm
As criminal cases proceed against the former president, heated rhetoric and anger among his supporters have authorities worried about the risk of political dissent becoming deadly.
- FBI launches probe into police department over abuse allegationsby ABC7 Chicago on September 24, 2023 at 3:15 pm
Federal authorities are investigating the Baton Rouge Police Department following allegations that some officers “abused their authority,” the FBI announced.
- The War on Drugs is on trial at the Supreme Court and its fate could hinge on the meaning of the word ‘and’by Mark Sherman,The Associated Press on September 24, 2023 at 2:26 pm
Federal courts nationwide disagree about the wording of the bipartisan 2018 criminal justice overhaul. One appellate panel calls it “perplexing.”
- The Supreme Court will hear a case with a lot of ‘buts’ & ‘ifs’ over the meaning of ‘and’by MARK SHERMAN on September 24, 2023 at 11:46 am
What the justices decide could affect thousands of prison sentences each year. Federal courts across the country disagree about whether the word, as it is used in a bipartisan 2018 criminal justice overhaul, indeed means “and” or whether it means “or.” The Supreme Court has stepped in to settle the dispute.
- The Supreme Court Will Hear a Case With a Lot of ‘Buts’ & ‘Ifs’ Over the Meaning of ‘And’by Associated Press on September 24, 2023 at 11:46 am
WASHINGTON (AP) — It’s hard to imagine a less contentious or more innocent word than “and.” But how to interpret that simple conjunction has prompted a complicated legal fight that lands in the Supreme Court on Oct. 2, the first day of its new term. What the justices decide could affect thousands …
- NYC college, American Musical and Dramatic Academy, gets millions to house migrantsby Zachary Schermele on September 24, 2023 at 10:05 am
- $10K reward offered after suspected killer accidentally released from Indiana jailby ABC7 Chicago on September 23, 2023 at 8:14 pm
Kevin Mason, 28, was “mistakenly released” from an adult detention center in Marion County on September 13, two days after his arrest, “due to a faulty records review” by staff, according to the Marion County Sheriff’s Office.
- Haake: For the freedom caucus, chaos is the pointby Sabrina Haake on September 23, 2023 at 3:00 pm
Here’s hoping McCarthy takes a cue from the Senate, works out a bipartisan budget thrilling to no one, and brings a vote on a continuing resolution to keep the government running to call his tormentors’ bluff. If the clown car shuts down the government, at least the nation will know their names.
- Sen. Menendez bribery case shines light on powerful NJ developerby Jake Offenhartz on September 23, 2023 at 2:25 pm
The indictment unsealed Friday by the U.S. attorney in Manhattan said Daibes paid bribes, including envelopes stuffed with thousands of dollars in cash and gold bars worth more than $120,000.
- City-Operated Supermarkets? And UConn Condones Rapeby CT Examiner on September 23, 2023 at 12:39 pm
Hartford’s century-long descent from a prosperous hub of industry and finance to a repository of poverty can be measured in several ways, but an especially telling one was publicized the other day as the City Council decided to hire a consultant to consider having city government operate a supermarket in the city, for profit or
- Fact Check Team: Chicago proposes opening city-run grocery storeby WEYI on September 22, 2023 at 8:54 pm
Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson announced a plan last week to explore opening a city-run grocery store.
- Gold bars, a luxury car, cash: Takeaways from investigation into NJ Sen. Bob Menendezby Lindsay Whitehurst, Mary Clare Jalonick on September 22, 2023 at 4:11 pm
Investigators say they found nearly $500,000 in cash hidden in clothing and closets as well as $100,000 in gold bars in a search of the home the 69-year-old senator from New Jersey shares with his wife. Here are the biggest takeaways from the 39-page document.
When you only have one call to make, make sure it is the right one.
We are here to defend your rights!